Its summer time, and that means your kids may be starting a new camp. Summer camp is many children’s first taste of independence. For many, it will also be their first experience with homesickness. How do parents help them?
- Involve your child in the process of choosing a camp- this will increase their comfort level once there.
- Discuss what camp will be like before your child leaves so he/she knows what to expect.
- Reach an agreement ahead of time on calling each other.
- Send a note or care package ahead of time to arrive the first day of camp.
- Pack a personal item from home, such as a stuffed animal.
- If they call you in a panic, offer calm reassurance and put the time frame into perspective. Avoid your initial temptation to take the child home early!
- Don’t feel guilty about encouraging your child to stay at camp. Once they adjust, it will be the time of their life- something they will look forward to every year!
These tips will ensure not only your child’s enjoyment, but will help them become more confident and independent!