New York City at any Age
As people get older, sometimes it seems as though opportunities for entertainment, enrichment, and all around fun become few and far between. But in New York City, there are endless opportunities for senior citizens. Many attractions, museums, and events in Manhattan even make a point of offering special discounts for seniors in order to encourage them to buy tickets.
The following include places that are particularly nice for an older crowd, which our Elder Care experts like to bring seniros to.
1. Classic Harbor Line Cruise in Chelsea Piers- This company offers creative ways to experience the beauty of New York City with sunset sails on swift schooners, afternoon tea cruises on a 1920s-style yacht, holiday-themed cruises, and other tours that combine ambiance, comfort, and spectacular views.
2. Bus Rides All over Manhattan – There are two: the M5 from Greenwich Village to Riverside Drive, passing Chelsea, Rockefeller Center, Lincoln Center and Central Park South; and the M4 from Madison Avenue through Harlem to the Cloisters
3. Harlem Meer on the East side of Central Park from 106th to 110th Streets- If you are looking for something to do and your loved one likes to fish, he or she can catch a fish in the newly stocked Harlem Meer (pond) at the north end of Central Park.
4. Wildlife Conservation Society Zoos and Parks All over New York City- Experience animal attractions at Wildlife Conservation Society zoos in Central Park, the Bronx, or Prospect Park in Brooklyn.
5. Rubin Museum of Art at 150 West 17th Street- One can discover the art and cultural heritage of the Himalayas in this wonderful museum. The first Monday of each month is Free Seniors Day, where visitors age 65 and older get free gallery admission, guided visits, and tickets to film screenings.
These are all really nice ways to spend the day! Our Elder Care professionals enjoy doing these kind of activities because it brings back the excitement and fun into an older person’s life. We suggest you try out some of these places and see for yourself how appreciated it is!